Monday 15 August 2011

Best of Show - Canberra Quilters

Canberra's Craft & Quilt Fair finished yesterday.  Let me share with you some of the amazing work Helen Godden, quilter/artist extraordinaire, has produced yet again to take out the prized "Best of Show" Award.  Helen has received world-wide acclaim for many masterpieces and this is no exception.
"Freedom" shows off Helen's own imitable style she has become so famous for.  Hope you appreciate the detailed photos.







Helen also was awarded a Special Category Prize for the "Best Use of Colour" with her exquisite "Lilli Marlene" which I know you'll agree is cheekily superb.



Seems that talent runs in the family because Helen's young daughter won herself a Baby Lock Embellisher with her entry in the "embellish a scarf" hourly classes they ran at the Show.   I was "Judge Judy" asked to select the four finalists, it was public applause which chose the winner.  As it turned out, "winners", because another youngster also made a scarf come to brilliance with beautiful embellishing all over it, so a second Embellisher was awarded since public applause was hard to gain a clear winner.  Sorry I didn't get a photo since I was judging!
I had an absolutely wonderful surprise in the few closing minutes of the Show when a very thoughtful customer of mine surprised me with a cute stuffed toy she made knowing just how I love Chooks and Roosters.  Sally attended a Machine Embroidery Retreat of mine when she was 8 months pregnant giving us all concerns each day with our fingers crossed.  She then went overseas to live for sometime (as her husband's work made the whole family move to USA), however, we kept in touch.  I was over the moon to receive such a beautiful addition to my family of Chooks.  Is "Sally Chick" a chook or a rooster?  Daisy buttons on the knees and fluffy wool for it's tail.
Don't forget everyone, this week we are at the Craft and Sew Show being held at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre, Showgrounds, Griffiths Road, Broadmeadow.  Come by and say hello.  You'll find us on Stand F10.  It promises to be a great show.  Please check it out: http://www.craftandsew.com.au/
My own full schedule of classes being conducted by Punch with Judy are on my Show Schedule on my website.  View here.

Now the good news is - I have FOUR FREE TICKETS to give away.  You must make a pre-show purchase from my website for collection at the show.  First four with an order will WIN.

2 comments:

  1. when i returned from houston last year i used to tell everyone about this amazing quilt with the tail outside the picture, the colours were absolutely fantastic...and here it is. i think it is wonderful. it really caught my eye and to think i had travelled to houston to see so many marvellous quilts and so many were from our own australian talents. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true. We do certainly have several Aussie Quilters who have been very successful with showing their talents at Houston, often winning first prizes too. It is an amazing quilt, so thank you for recognizing such. Helen always offers amazing quilts for competition. Judy

    ReplyDelete