Wednesday 13 August 2014

More from Victorian Quilters Showcase

I am pleased you are enjoying viewing the quilts from the brilliant display from Victorian Quilters Showcase at the Craft & Quilt Fair in Melbourne recently. In my last blog I omitted to include in that group WINNER of the section "MAINLY APPLIQUE TWO PERSON BOTH PROFESSIONAL"

Congratulations to CHRIS SERONG for her quilt "ALICE BRAY"
Chris said 'My own original design, I dedicated this quilt to my mother, Alice Emily Johnston (nee Bray). She recently celebrated her 89th birthday'.
Hand appliqued and machine quilted on a track mounted system by Desley Maisano.
Quilt Measures: 206cm x 206cm

I had a lovely chat with Pamela Brockwell at the quilt display as she was doing her "white gloves" duty and then I discovered I had already taken photos of her winning quilts. Indeed a talented quilter but also a friendly, bubbly lady.
Pam won FIRST PLACE in the INNOVATIVE section as well as EXCELLENCE IN DOMESTIC MACHINE QUILTING PROFESSIONAL award for her quilt "NIGHT FLIGHT".
Pam said 'Caryl Bryer Fallert's "Sew Dawn" quilt and maker's statement, struck a chord in me. Feeling the need to remake and renew myself as a quilter, my phoenix in night flight was born. Exhibited with permission of C.B. Fallert after she saw the photograph of my quilt. Pam also told me that each flame has an inset 9 patch in it and some of the individual blocks that make up the 9 patches are between 1/8" and 1/4".
AMAZING.
Machine appliqued, pieced and machine quilted on a stationary machine.
Quilt Measures: 140cm x 215cm

I missed the winner of the GROUP QUILTS sorry, but the RUNNER UP caught my eye.
FROM SEA TO MOUNTAINS was made by ANNE ROBINSON & FRIENDS
Improvisational cutting and piecing techniques. Inspired by design in 'The Modern Quilt Workshop' by Weeks Ringle & Bill Kerr.
Machine pieced and machine quilted on a track mounted system by Lucy Thompson.
Quilt Measures: 219cm x 151cm

Hey, have a peep at these FIRST TIME ENTRANTS - well done!
FIRST PLACE was awarded to SYLVIA GRANT for her quilt "BALTIMORE".
Sylvia said 'this quilt is a result of a Di Ford Baltimore class'.
Hand appliqued and hand quilted
Quilt Measures: 180cm x 180cm

HIGHLY COMMENDED in the FIRST TIME ENTRANT section was awarded to 
ALISON HAZELDINE
for her quilt "AUNT MILLIE'S GARDEN"
Alison said 'My interpretation of a Piece of Cake design by Linda Jenkins.

I am always fascinated with the Miniature Quilts, admiring the patience of many for their persistence with excellence in piecing such minute shapes of fabric.
KARREN TERRENS won FIRST PLACE 
in MINIATURE QUILTS TRADITIONAL section for her quilt 
"MERMAID WISHES"
Karren said 'My own original design, is a miniature wholecloth quilt incorporating feathers inspired by Lisa Calle, using a cotton/silk blend fabric which has given it a beautiful sheen. The quilt has been quilted using a silk thread.' Machine quilted on a track mounted system with stitch regulator. 
Just admire the quilting, remember, it is a Miniature Quilt.
Quilt Measures: 60cm x 60cm

JOCELYNE LEATH won the OPEN MINIATURE QUILTS
for her quilt "EUCALYPTUS SPLENDOUR"
Jocelyne said 'My own original design. A closer look will reveal the splendour that adorns our backyards. The design explores the different stages of flowering. Indian silk and thread used to compliment the design.' 
Thread painting, machine embroidered, pieced and machine quilted on a stationary machine.
Quilt Measures: 40cm x 60cm

CAROL BOSNA was HIGHLY COMMENDED in the OPEN MINIATURE QUILTS but she also WON and award for EXCELLENCE IN DOMESTIC MACHINE QUILTING - AMATEURS for her quilt "FEATHER FRENZY".
Carol said 'The central bird motif comes from an unknown source that I have adapted to miniaturize. The first border is a miniaturized Karen McTavish design, with the outside border adapted from an Anita Shackelford pattern.
Quilt Measures: 35cm x 35cm

REMEMBER: THE CRAFT & QUILT FAIR IS ON NEXT WEEK AT CANBERRA


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To many mistakes in my last comment, but joy oh joy, more brilliant quilts to view, and, one great person bringing these quilts into our home via photos. Thank you Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Effie. It is my pleasure to share as so many people never have the opportunity to visit a major show so never see the talented quilters in every State. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete