Friday 5 October 2012

Quilts from AMQF

Quilts attract visitors whenever they are on show and several caught my eye at the AMQF we attended last week.  Thought you may be interested in seeing some winners and others I photographed because of their interest to students attending my Online Classes.

1st Place for Innovative Custom Quilt Large AND Best of Show Runner-Up was awarded to Birgit Schueller from Germany for her "SHOOTING STARS" 86" Square Quilt.  Magnificent!

 
Birgit said "Imagine the fireworks in the cold, crystal clear night on New Year's Eve!  In this original quilt constructed using eight identifcal foundation-pieced sections following a light/shadow colour placement approach, I tried to capture the exploding fireworks and the released sparkling stars.  More than 20,000 hotfix Swarovski crystals reflect the light, letting the quilt appear to glow within."
Just imagine this in real life!
 
Best of Show was awarded to Rachelle Denneny for her quilt "GOLDEN IVORY".
Her 92" x 90"quilt also won First Place in the Wholecloth Section PLUS the Viewer's Choice.
 
 
Rachelle said "Originally designed to be an applique quilt, but I knew it would look beautiful as a wholecloth. I have always loved white/cream wholecloth quilts but decided to add a touch of bling with delicate gold free motion embroidery. Trapunto was then used to enhance these sections and the quilting was then designed to fit around the embroidery without overpowering it.
 
1st Place for Innovative Custom Small Quilt was awarded to PAM HILL for her "COUNTERPOINT" Quilt which is a 40" square quilt.
 


 


It is not as the eye may think.  It is not pieced but painted, for want of a better description.  Pam said "my challenge was to make a whole cloth quilt that appeared to be pieced and appliqued.  I began my design from the centre and worked out.  I marked my design onto white fabric and quilted in white thread and then added colour with ink and metallic pigment powder.  Tiny stipple, pebble and pumpkin seed stitching create background texture."



FEATHERS IN BLOOM was made by Michele Turner
 
I LOVE Log Cabin!
Made by Michele Turner, the 91" square quilt is machine applique with freehand feathers and traditional colours.  Michele said her quilt design is wholly original and has been made over a few years.  Isn't it a wonderful interpretation of varying the ever-popular Log Cabin design?
 


"ASIAN CATHEDRALS" was made by Meredith Budd and took my eye because I like Cathedral Window definitely, but when I looked at the detail Meredith had inserted I admired it even more.  Note the Pillow Sham and the cut away base for the bottom of the bed. (Photos above)

Meredith also made "OUTBACK DREAMING" which I told my students in our Curve Master Online Course that the circles and swirls were similar to their lesson on dissecting the Drunkard's Path design.


 
I also photographed "YING YANG" by Jan Stroud as it was of interest to the curvy type quilts my students have been studying.
 

I hope you have enjoyed sharing these beautiful quilts.  Of course, there were many more and many more winners.  You may view them all here.  Congratulations to everyone who made quilts and displayed them at the AMQF.

Lots of new products are on my What's New? on my website. 
Do visit it often.

Don't forget to visit the Craft & Quilt Fair in Brisbane at the Brisbane Exhibition Centre from 17 - 21 October where we will be exhibiting.  If you'd like a FREE Entry Ticket, email me giving three products I mention in my latest NIFTY NOTIONS editorial within the lastest INTO CRAFT newsletter.
Remember the Craft and Sewing Show is on right now at the Townsville Entertainment & Convention Centre.
 
 
 
 

4 comments: