Saturday 3 August 2013

Quilt Borders from Victorian Quilters' Showcase 2013

As I wander around any quilt display, usually on a Sunday morning on the show circuit, many a time a quilt takes my fancy yet may not have been awarded a prize.  All prize winners can usually be viewed on the Guild's website so I like to show others as well.  Here are more winners and 'others'.

Lee Vause entered "Paradox" in the Open - Mixed Techniques and received a special award for Excellence in Domestic Quilting - Professional.


Lee said it was her own original design, featuring a black Zentangle tile quilt top with a couched decorative stitches string that linked the central machine embroidery tangle pattern.  A ric rac and corded border added another element of interest.  Interest it certainly had - captured me.  It deserves showing you some closeups so as you may marvel at it too.  Well done Lee.



Some quilts had interesting bindings which drew my attention since I've been teaching how to bind a quilt in my Nifty Notions demonstrations on the show circuit.  I can imagine the time some of these took.  Hats off to those quilters!


Ramona Resurreccion entered her "Circles of Life" quilt in the Open - Anything Goes section and was Runner-Up.  Ramona said it was a symbol of eternity with some surface painted and some appliqué. Machine appliquéd and quilted on a track mounted system.



Ramona had another quilt entered in the Open - Mixed Techniques, though no prize given, I was again amazed with the borders and the detail.  "Chocolate Fudge Brownies" - Appliquéd double wedding ring tapes were applied on squares, trapunto quilting highlights the quilt top.  Again, machine appliquéd, trapunto and machine quilted on a track mounted system.



Note the border treatment again.
Also, the superb quilting.
I'm hoping you are being inspired!


At ALL quilt shows, traditional quilts have been on the decline, so in recent years, there's been a real push for more traditional flavours.

Pat Leviston dedicated her quilt to her maternal grandmother calling it "Mary Josephine" and it won First Place in the 2 Person Amateur & Professional quilt section.  Pat hand appliquéd and pieced the quilt which was then machine quilted by Vicki Jenkin.

Just look at the ribbon awards!  (apologies for the rope guarding the display area)
Received the Judges Award as well as the "Retaining the Traditional" award.  Another with a special border trim.  Hope this photo shows why it won so many awards.


Two things I'd like to update you with:  Pamela Brockwell's amazing quilt which won Best of Show shown in my recent blog, "Fiore Della Vita", had all the appliqué done with Stable Stuff by Ricky Tims so Pam informed me.  She loves it and felt it contributed to how well her quilt appeared.  Hmmm.  Think a little talent there too Pam.  We ALL loved it and I received many emails saying such.

In my previous blog, I showed a quilt from Judith Leckie and stated it was Red & White, but indeed, the camera hadn't faulted so much afterall, it was Red & Cream, though not quite as "warm" as my images showed.

I hope you enjoy viewing these magnificent quilts - special hello to all my International visitors.  I believe some have forwarded them on to others and also included in their Facebook postings.  I am indeed impressed.

LAST OF THE QUILTS FROM MELBOURNE to come next. 
Off to Canberra's Quilt Exhibition this week as part of the Craft & Quilt Fair at Exhibition Park, Mitchell.  Always an amazing display.  Maybe see you there?

No comments:

Post a Comment