Tuesday 19 November 2013

Craft & Quilt Fair - Adelaide 2103

The Quilters' Guild of South Australia Inc. and all their members should be very proud of the quilts displayed in the Festival of Quilts early this month.

Commencing with the "talk of the town" car quilt cover which greeted us at the entrance each day.


Blocks made at last year's demonstration by Quilt Guild Members, were put to good use when someone suggested the above project.  They had a lot of fun making the cover but I wondered what would happen if the owner updated their car and it was a different size?


The BERNINA BEST OF SHOW was awarded to MICHELE HILL for her "16th Century Fantasy" Quilt which also won First Place in the Predominantly Applique Open section.  It is Michele's original design and she made and quilted the masterpiece herself.


Michele, whom everyone loves, said "this is a much larger version of a fantasy quilt I made several years ago. Design inspiration from a small black and grey drawing of Italian applique from the 16th century.  Many hours of hand embroidery."



Congratulations Michele!

BEST OF SHOW RUNNER UP was awarded to JULIE HADDRICK
for her "MY WABI SABI" which also won 
FIRST PLACE in the Art Quilt Open.


Julie's is an original, of course, it is HER!  Julie said "My Wabi Sabi is outdoors in quiet, insignifcant and inwardly oriented places. My treasure is in the discarded; a feather, a stick, a shard of China.
This is what I value.  This is who I am."


BUT, not only did she win the above awards, she ALSO won First Place in the Pictorial Quilt Open section for her "The Forever Journey; Eat play love stay".


Julie said "Wedding Quilt for Heidi and Jon: 2012  I used my 'window view' approach to illustrate the colours of dusk and early morning as photographed by Heidi and Jon along the Great Ocean Road and of the crumbling Twelve Apostles coastline.  Hand painted and dyed fabric by the artist."  

More winners to come!

Now, for a picture of our own Punch with Judy Stand........


Being the last show for the year, the show organizers, Expertise Events, organized a Kris Kringle night with the help of some elves!


Santa handed out the pressies amidst much fun, followed by some games and dancing, many of us making fools of ourselves, but it was all in fun.  It is on nights like this one that Exhibitors and staff get to know each other better.  Hats off to EE and, of course, those FOUR ELVES!  Recognize any?


Everyone attending was given a Santa Hat which we were asked to decorate with items from our own stand. Liz was the Lucky Winner with her quilted Santa, prize awarded by the Four Elves Jury after much interrogation upon how did she make it?   For those who don't know Liz, she is my right-hand man on the show circuit and my good friend.
My apologies for the break from my last blog from Houston.  I flew from Houston Quilt Festival straight to the Craft & Quilt Fair in Adelaide, visited friends on the way home, then had family visiting for our eldest Grandson's 21st Birthday over this last weekend.  Many of you know Reece, yes, he made it to 21.  I will place some photos on my personal Facebook in a day or two, not my Punch with Judy Facebook.

As promised, I will show you more from Houston and also from Brisbane Craft & Quilt Fair in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment